Reboot Deferral

Topics: Archive - Toolkit Extensions
Aug 22, 2016 at 6:04 PM
Hi there,

I'm aware that the PADT facilitates installation deferrals, but we have a requirement to defer reboots which as far as I am aware is not currently a function in the toolkit.
We would like to allow software to be installed using the System Center ConfigMgr application model, but without forcing a mandatory reboot after the threshold defined in the Client Device Settings policy.

I'm about to start some work on the function, adding it as an extension, but I wanted to find out whether anything is being worked on by yourselves before doing so.

Kind Regards,

Anton Burgess
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2016 at 9:54 PM
Hi Anton,

Yes, you can do this two ways:

1. Suppress the reboot return code using the PSADT. Simply set this parameter to false when calling the script (or change it in the script) Deploy-Application.ps1:

PARAMETER AllowRebootPassThru Allows the 3010 return code (requires restart) to be passed back to the parent process (e.g. SCCM) if detected from an installation. If 3010 is passed back to SCCM, a reboot prompt will be triggered.

2. Change the behaviour for the return code in the SCCM Deployment Type to not reboot.

Regards,
Sean

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:38 PM
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply, I'm aware that the 3010 return code can be suppressed, but then, no reboot request is flagged, therefore not notifying the user that it is required.

Previously, we allowed the reboot code to pass-thru when using the package model in ConfigMgr which invokes a persistent reboot notification in Software Center without forcing a mandatory reboot.

When following the same method using the application model, the reboot is forced after the threshold defined within the Client Device Settings (90 mins by default).
The maximum this can be increased to is 24 hours, but cannot be disabled to my knowledge, hence the requirement for this function.

It seems like the functionality as it stands does not exist, so I will progress the development of this.

Kind Regards,

Anton Burgess
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:29 AM
Hi Anton,

Have you looked at the Show-InstallationRebootPrompt function?

Seán

Am 22.08.2016 um 23:38 schrieb aburgess <[email removed]>:

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply, I'm aware that the 3010 return code can be suppressed, but then, no reboot request is flagged, therefore not notifying the user that it is required.

Previously, we allowed the reboot code to pass-thru when using the package model in ConfigMgr which invokes a persistent reboot notification in Software Center without forcing a mandatory reboot.

When following the same method using the application model, the reboot is forced after the threshold defined within the Client Device Settings (90 mins by default).
The maximum this can be increased to is 24 hours, but cannot be disabled to my knowledge, hence the requirement for this function.

It seems like the functionality as it stands does not exist, so I will progress the development of this.

Kind Regards,

Anton Burgess
Aug 23, 2016 at 9:33 AM
Hi Sean,

No, I have not looked at the Show-InstallationRebootPrompt function.

Does this also allow you to prevent the pass-thru of the exit code while retaining the reboot prompt within the toolkit?

Also, does it allow a user to defer that reboot and be prompted periodically?

Finally, will a manual reboot clear the deferred reboot?

Thanks for your help on this.

Regards,

Anton Burgess
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Hi Anton,

Yes to all your questions.

Seán

Am 23.08.2016 um 09:33 schrieb aburgess <[email removed]>:

Hi Sean,

No, I have not looked at the Show-InstallationRebootPrompt function.

Does this also allow you to prevent the pass-thru of the exit code while retaining the reboot prompt within the toolkit?

Also, does it allow a user to defer that reboot and be prompted periodically?

Finally, will a manual reboot clear the deferred reboot?

Thanks for your help on this.

Regards,

Anton Burgess
Aug 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM
Great, thanks very much Sean.

I will take a look at the function.

Thanks,

Anton Burgess