This project is read-only.

Close Applications - Automatically Save Documents/Prompt to save

Topics: Archive - Deployment Scripts, Archive - General, Archive - Toolkit Extensions
Jan 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Hi,

I have used the deployment toolkit to install software, its prerequisites and integrated with SCCM 2012. The software requires for ALL Microsoft Office and Adobe programs to be closed and have been specified in the -CloseApps command-line (see below).

Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "EXCEL=Microsoft Office Excel,ONENOTE=Microsoft Office OneNote,OUTLOOK=Microsoft Office Outlook,POWERPNT=Microsoft Office Powerpoint,WINWORD=Microsoft Office Word,AcroRd32=Adobe Reader" -BlockExecution -AllowDefer -DeferTimes 10 -CheckDiskSpace -PersistPrompt

If users select Close programs before saving their documents (word, excel etc...) rather than select defer is there a way of automatically saving or prompt to save documents before the processes are terminated therefore losing any documents?

We have concerns that users will select close programs and lose any documents/emails etc...

Can someone please advise whether this can be achieved or not? Any advice would be great!

Regards,
Craig
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Hi,

Can anyone please advise on the above?

Regards,
Craig
Jan 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Hi Craig,

I'm with you on this one.
It would be great to have a user friendlier approach for processes with a user interface.
I find the -CloseApps naming misleading as it is killing processes using Stop-Process,

Instead you could "gently" ask Excel to exit by sending a close message to its main window:
Get-Process excel -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | ? { $_.CloseMainWindow() | Out-Null }

Hopefully it can be added to the toolkit in the future.

Regards,
Marco
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:02 PM
MarcoHH wrote:
Hi Craig,

I'm with you on this one.
It would be great to have a user friendlier approach for processes with a user interface.
I find the -CloseApps naming misleading as it is killing processes using Stop-Process,

Instead you could "gently" ask Excel to exit by sending a close message to its main window:
Get-Process excel -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | ? { $_.CloseMainWindow() | Out-Null }

Hopefully it can be added to the toolkit in the future.

Regards,
Marco
Hi Marco,

Have you implemented the above command-line in your environment/deployment?

Regards,
Craig
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2015 at 7:51 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.