Applications that need to be closed

Topics: Archive - General
Sep 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM
I'm working on a package to uninstall Adobe Acrobat X Pro from a bunch of machines in my domain. My original SCCM package ran into difficulties due to other applications being open when the uninstall ran. Such as Word, Outlook, Excel, Internet Explorer.

I've looked at the Adobe Reader example script that came with the toolkit, and I do see the section where it lists applications that need to be closed. My question is: where do you get those names? For instance, AcroRd32 is obviously Acrobat Reader, but I'm going to be concerned with Acrobat Pro instead, so where do I find the name for that? And where do I find the names for the Office applications, and any other application that I run into?

Thanks,

Joe
Sep 15, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Easiest way:
Hop on a computer that has the applications installed that you want to find the names of. Open Task Manager. If in Win7, right click on Application name, "Go to Process" there's your name you need. If in Win8, Open Task Manager, right click Application name, "Go to Details" and there's your name you need.
Nov 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Thanks for the response. here's the section of the script for uninstall. I did what you suggested, but it didn't work. I had Acrobat Pro X, Word 2010, and IE9 open, and the tool only recognized IE. The uninstall failed because the other two apps were open.

# Prompt the user to close the following applications if they are running:
Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "iexplore,Acrobat,cidaemon,winword,excel,Outlook" -AllowDefer -DeferTimes 3
# Show Progress Message (with a message to indicate the application is being uninstalled)
Show-InstallationProgress -StatusMessage "Uninstalling Application $installTitle. Please Wait..." 
# Remove this version of Adobe Reader
Execute-MSI -Action Uninstall -Path "{AC76BA86-1033-F400-7760-000000000005}"
To be fair, when I look at Processes, both acrobat and winword have .exe after them. But then, so does iexplore. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.