How is the best way to test scripts

Topics: Archive - Deployment Scripts
Aug 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Edited Aug 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Hello ,

I´m new to this ADT and it rocks. But I´m wondering how is the best way to develop scripts and test them ?

I´ve tried the Deploy-Application.exe /install , but its not working. I then whent to powershell manually and executed the script. That worked although I had to allow the script to [R]un once several times.

It seems that its those scripts does also not worki in Powershell ISE, so can you direct me
how is the best method of testing scripts ?

Also wondering about the uninstall codes : How can you obtain them ? Is there a global list ?
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Always run as Administrator. PowerShell ISE works well. You should be able to run Deploy-Application.exe.

What do you mean by uninstall codes? If you're referring to Remove-MSIApplications, the function queries the registry for the GUID based on the display name of the application provided.
Sep 1, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Hello yes this is solved, I can actually run the script in Powershell, but I had to create a Policy in AD allowing at least me to execute powerShell scripts.

The msi uninstall code , like Adobe Acrobat reader is {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}, but for any other program, I can find those msi "codes" in SCCM when I create an appication deploy.

I don't understand tough why you are using UTF-16, because there are are actually few editors around that support it. UTF-8 is better I think , but some editors , like Textpad does not actually save the UTF-8 codes even though it says it does (tried it with ð, æ and so on). I use komodo light editor , but I can not use it with utf-16. There are two utf-16 supported but not the one you are using.
Sep 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM
script that will help you find msi codes.
http://eskonr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ProductID-for-MSI.zip

silent uninstall is good tool for finding silent uninstalls also...
http://www.scriptingsimon.com/2010/10/silently-uninstalling-software/