New to the toolkit

Topics: Archive - General
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM
I think this will help me do what I've been tasked with, but hopefully you can tell me.

I need to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Pro X, from a bunch of computers in my environment. I tried initially, with a simple package and program in SCCM 2012, and had a very low success rate. I think it is because there were apps open on the clients that Acrobat hooks into, and therefore broke.

I see that the toolkit is able to uninstall various versions of software, just with a product name. Does this include Acrobat Pro? Due to updates, we have various "versions" of Acrobat X Pro, therefore different GUIDS, so the normal uninstall of referencing the GUID may not work for me.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM
You've certainly come to the right place, friend. If you download PSADT you'll see that one of the included Examples is for Adobe Reader. I can tell you from extremely recent experience that referencing the apps to uninstall by name is awesome, and works for Adobe Reader (and acro pro).

Just imagine being able to type in
    Remove-MSIApplications "Java(TM) 6 Update"
and all of your ancient versions of Java 6 are removed! So good!
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Yes, that sounds awesome. I have downloaded the toolkit, and I've just started to read the Administrator Guide. But, is it possible to use the uninstall as you mentioned above, without installing anything else? I just need to uninstall Acrobat Pro from a bunch of machines, without installing anything else.
Coordinator
Aug 29, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Yes you can use this function to create an installation deployment that actually just performs an uninstallation. You would just need to consider your detection method that would work across all machines, I'd suggest dropping a registry key marker for this to indicate the uninstallation has run using Set-RegistryKey.
Sep 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've started digging into the Acrobat Reader example, and it looks like it should be able to do what I need. My thoughts were to get this setup, then package it and push through SCCM. That way, I can use SCCM reporting to keep track of machines that it has deployed to, and track successes and failures fairly easily. I'm just thinking now of what the best way to deploy it would be. Also, looking towards the future, would I have multiple folders with the toolkit in it, one for each application I'm deploying using the toolkit?