This project is read-only.

Deploy-Application.EXE with multiple Deploy-Application.ps1 files

Topics: Archive - General
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM
I have a deployment that has multiple application specific config files that can be specified on the commandline. One config file per department. So I was wondering if multiple Deploy-Application.ps1 files could be created and executed from Deploy-Application.EXE like Deploy-Application.EXE Deploy-ApplicationDEPT1.ps1

I have the commandline with the application specific config file embedded in the Deploy-Application.ps1 and finding this isn't working out so well when I move to the second department deployment.

I have configured the Deploy-Application.ps1 to have a commandline like:
Execute-Process -FilePath "Installer.exe" -Arguments "/Silent /ProfilePath \\server\share\configfile01.config"
I added this in case someone had an idea of another way to approach this.

Thanks
Aug 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Maybe I can reword the question:

Can I rename the Deploy-Application.ps1 to something else to support multiple PS1 files and specify the custom PS1 file from the Deploy-Application.EXE commandline?

Thanks
Aug 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Actually I was reviewing the release notes and apparently this feature was added to 3.1.4. Can someone tell me the -parameter used to specify the PS1 file name? I don't see it in the admin guide.

Version 3.1.4 [06/10/2014]
Added New-Folder and Remove-Folder functions (Thanks to SueH)
Added NoWait parameter to Execute-Process
__Added the ability for Deploy-Application.exe to point to a different .ps1 file by specifying it on the command-line__
Added checks to Deploy-Application.exe to verify the AppDeployToolkit folder exists
Added PSAppDeployToolkit icon to Deploy-Application.exe
Fixed issue where hang could occur if file version was null when using Get-FileVersion
Improved exception handling and logging for a number of functions
Aug 27, 2014 at 3:33 AM
Yes, you can have as many PS1 scripts as you want and name each of the PS1 scripts as you want, just run the command line like below,
Deploy-Application.EXE app1.ps1
Deploy-Application.EXE app2.ps1
Deploy-Application.EXE app3.ps1
Aug 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I have been testing this and it works perfectly. Imagine 140 PS1 files ;-)

Thanks
Sep 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM
how are you calling out different applications in your set up?...I wanted to do the same thing here as we have 55 different departments that require different applications...I just didnt want to copy over one app multiple times if it was deployed out to 5 or 6 departments...?
Sep 12, 2014 at 5:12 PM
So CM12 does not support deployments with the ability to select from multiple deployment types like it did in 2007. I had to create multiple applications but I was able to use the same source folder with multiple PS1 files. It really stinks that they removed the old way like in 2007. In 2007, I believe they did it to conserve disk space. Since we have single instance now it isn't as important except now I have 140 "applications" for one app. I swear it's two steps forward and one steps back. Don't get me started ;-)

Mike
Sep 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM
My previous post appeared to fail so I am posting again. I am sorry If I double post.

I had to create 140 applications but was able to use 1 app source folder. I created 140 PS1 files and called each one individually in each application. In 2007 I was able to have one package with multiple programs. When I advertised the package I could choose from multiple programs. In CM12 it is no longer supported for deployments to be able to select from multiple deployment types. I guess since its single instance now they no longer felt it necessary to support this old functionality.

Now I have to have 140 individual apps which really stinks.

I swear it's two steps forward and one step back....don't get me started ;-)

Mike
Sep 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM
ok so this essentially is just one source application...I have like 12 to 13 applications with different sources that of course wouldnt work for my scenario...