This project is read-only.

App permanently blocked

Topics: Archive - General
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the great tool, finding it really useful.

During test however I have a colleague who has Outlook blocked - he cant launch the app even after a reboot or re-running the Powershell script (in a hope that it will carry out a cleanup)

Can you let me know where I can find the list of blocked apps...assuming it's in the reg somewhere?

Many thanks

Carl
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Hi Carl,

Look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" for any of the process names you used BlockExecution on and delete the overall key. So in this instance it would be outlook.exe. This will fix the issue.

Any idea if anything weird or wonderful was done during the install? The toolkit should fix this up itself with a scheduled task at startup (reboot) but I've seen a handful of cases where this hasn't worked. We're working on trying to add even more checks and guards to prevent this.

Thanks, Dan
Feb 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Cheers Dan,

I looked her first but thought I might break something if I deleted a value...will do this tomorrow.

I'll ask my colleague what happened during installation and let you know

Cheers

Carl

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM
I had the same issue while testing a package (I terminated the PS process then re-ran the App Deploy script) and had five different blocked applications that the scheduled task could not remove for whatever reason. I ended up writing the script below to remove the registry values, just in case it ever happened again.
Get-ChildItem "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" -Recurse |
ForEach-Object { Get-ItemProperty $_.pspath } |
Where-Object {$_.Debugger -like "*ShowBlockedAppDialog*"} |
Remove-ItemProperty -Name Debugger
On a side note, thanks for putting this Toolkit together, it is very helpful and time-saving :)
Feb 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Worked like a charm :)

Thanks for the advice and the tip oldom - I will add this to my script

Glad I raised this as a discussion now

Cheers

Carl