Using with SCCM

Topics: Archive - General
Feb 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I'm looking at starting to use this toolkit to wrap apps for SCCM 2012R2. I have one question that may have been answered already. Here is the scenario.

I have an app like java that I need to update. I would like to have the update available to update when the user is logged in or have it update during a maintenance window when there is nobody logged in for the application to interact with.

When a user is logged in, I would like the prompt that says "internet Explorer is open, we need to close to continue". However, when the user is not logged in, during the maintenance window, I do not want to see a prompt.

How would I accomplish this with SCCM and the toolkit?

Sorry in advance If this was covered already in forum or documentation.

Thanks!
-Paul
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Hey Paul,

I've not tried this myself, but it should work. Create two deployment types - both identical (same detections, requirements content, command-line etc) with two differences:
  • DT #1 - Install for User
  • DT #2 - Install for System, Only when no user is logged in
The toolkit will detect whether it's running as User or System and display the UI accordingly.

Hope this helps. Dan
Feb 6, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Excellent! I will give that a go. Thanks for the help.
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM
That actually ended up not working for me. Instead I created a single DT with the following settings:
Installation Program: "Deploy-Application.EXE" Install

User Experience:
Installation Behavior: Install for system if resource is device; otherwise install for user.
Logon requirements: Whether or not a user is logged on.
Installation program visibility: Normal.

I then deployed it to a device collection. It installs if a user is logged in or logged off and also during a task sequence deployment.

Very slick. And I LOVE the logging (C:\windows\logs\software)!
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Ah yes! That'd do it too :)
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:32 PM
sintaxasn wrote:
Hey Paul,

I've not tried this myself, but it should work. Create two deployment types - both identical (same detections, requirements content, command-line etc) with two differences:
  • DT #1 - Install for User
  • DT #2 - Install for System, Only when no user is logged in
The toolkit will detect whether it's running as User or System and display the UI accordingly.

Hope this helps. Dan
Hey Dan, I tried using this method and what ended up happening is that it always chose the 1st deployment type, but the appenforce log file shows that it's waiting for the user to logon, and once the user logs on, it then starts the install from dt 1.
Feb 11, 2015 at 6:48 PM
try changing the DT order. CM12 processes them from top down basically.