This project is read-only.

PSA and SCCM mandatory deployment without downloading files

Topics: Archive - General
Dec 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I have an Office deployment created that works great, with the exception of the size of the install. Using SCCM - as soon as you make it mandatory and assign it, the client gets the entire package. It would be fine if all of my locations had a distribution point, bu they don't. So....I want the pop-ups to happen, but without the 800mb, unless they click continue. I would like for the installationwelcome screen to pop-up as i have it now, but depending on if the user clicks defer or continue to download the actual Office install folder. If the user clicks continue, then it would go download the 800mb folder from a remote DP and run the install.

Is this possible at all??
Dec 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM
It's possible if you store the Office sources on a file share that all machines have access to and you are prepared not to have the source files in the SCCM cache but elsewhere on the machine.
Dec 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I have a server share were clients could get the source files from, but I haven't figured out how to ensure the client downloads all 700+ mb BEFORE running the setup.exe. With SCCM the client will download the entire package first, then run the installer. If you know of way to accomplish that, it would be great!! Thanks for the help!
Dec 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM
What are you actually trying to achieve here? Are you hoping to conserve bandwidth by only having clients download the content when the user is ready to install?

Your script will need to be modified as follows:
  1. After the Show-InstallationWelcome prompt, add a step to test connectivity to the network share.
  2. Copy the Office source files from the network share to a folder on the local machine.
  3. Run the setup from the local source files.
There are numerous ways to achieve this, depending on how advanced you want to get, like using BITS to control the download.

There are other things you could do to throttle the bandwidth, like changing the BITS settings in the client policy for devices that don't have a local DP. You could also consider configuring Branch Cache or you could phase the deployment in small batches.
Marked as answer by rednecknerd on 12/26/2013 at 11:37 AM
Dec 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM
You are correct in I am wanting to control the download by having the user click continue. I am now looking at using BITS to download the files from the server share. I haven't had much experience with PowerShell so it's not to well getting the BITS download figured out, but I am going to move forward with that. I like the control when using BITS.

Thanks for your help!