This project is read-only.

1st time install, nothing happens, when expired(sccm) install runs ok.

Topics: Archive - General
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Hi

I've created a test deployment with Java 7 u45...

Now firstly.. I created this as an application and NOT as a software package...
Is there a specific reason for using package for your script?

as application..
when it appears in softwarecenter on my test devices it just says installing...
then when it times out (15 minutes set in sccm application package settings) then I can restart it and it runs as it should...

this is on physical devices.. I tried on some virtual machines and didn't see this issue...

I also get an error from the java installer that it cannot delete a file that is missing..but I assume this hasn't got anything to do with your script :-)
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Hi,

The toolkit works with SCCM applications and packages.

Does the same issue occur on physical machines if you run script first time outside SCCM? If so, can you run script from an elevated powershell console and see if you get any errors.

Also, please attach a log file from the toolkit.

The file deletion error sounds like it's not toolkit related if the java installer is performing the action.

Thanks,
Seán
Oct 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Hi

I will test that.. but from what I've seen so far..

on standard sccm installs it just works.. on sccm installs where we manually updated java at some previous time.. it hangs the 1st time around..
then after the timeout and I start it again.. it works.. but complains about the missing file...

I'll get the logs for you..
Oct 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Oct 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Strange..

tried a VM with std. sccm install.
then removed java manually
then added J u40 manually
then ran the deployment of j45.... no problems...

I am still waiting to test on physical device...
Oct 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
seems to throw an error:

[24-10-2013 08:55:05] [Pre-Installation] Exception calling "ShowDialog" with "0" argument(s): "Det er ikke en gyldig handling at vise en modal dialogboks eller formular, når programmet ikke kører i tilstanden UserInteractive. Angiv formatet ServiceNotification eller DefaultDesktopOnly for at få vist meddelelser fra tjenesteprogrammer." ()
[24-10-2013 08:55:05] [Pre-Installation] Displaying Dialog Box with message: [Exception calling "ShowDialog" with "0" argument(s): "Det er ikke en gyldig handling at vise en modal dialogboks eller formular, når programmet ikke kører i tilstanden UserInteractive. Angiv formatet ServiceNotification eller DefaultDesktopOnly for at få vist meddelelser fra tjenesteprogrammer." ()]...

sorry for the Danish...

seems it's failing to showDialog when program is running in 'userinteractive' ??
Oct 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
This is the same problem that I have reported here: https://psappdeploytoolkit.codeplex.com/workitem/28
It simply doesn't work with SCCM as it is today, but there is hopefully a solution now in the next release.
Oct 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
It Seems to be solved...

jockebr... can you confirm?
Oct 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Yes, it seems to be working now.

It's important to note that when running as an "Application" you have to select the option "Allow users to view and interact with the program installation". Unfortunately, because of a stupid SCCM limitation, this means you MUST select the application to run "Only when a user is logged on". This is obviously stupid because you will of course also be able to run the installation when a user is not logged on.

Using a "Package" instead of an "Application" removes this limiation. With a "Package" you can select "Allow users to interact with this program" and still allow the program to run "Whether or not a user is logged on".

So the conclusion is, PS App Deployment Toolkit will work best with a "Package".
Oct 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Hi Jockebr..

When I create a deployment of Java 7 and setting the script to allow defer etc etc. then it will show the popup even if it's an application and set to run as system..
I've yet to see a deployment start without a user being logged in..
Oct 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM
It will show the popup if you have configured your application deployment type to "Allow users to view and interact with the program installation". But that will only work if a user is logged on, so the deployment will not run at all if the user is logged off.
A "Package" does not have this limitation.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I agree, Jocke, this is a really stupid limitation and has been a big discussion point with applications in SCCM 2012. It's not a limitation of the toolkit itself as the toolkit would run silently if no user was logged on, but SCCM doesn't give us the option. We have also looked at working around the limitation using the toolkit but it has proven to be very complex and not something we could support.

To work around it you can do things like create a deployment type for when no user is logged on and another for when a user is logged on, but that's very onerous for every application. If you don't need user interaction, you can use the toolkit without having to limit the deployment type to requiring a logged on user.

It's important to weigh up the pros and cons of applications vs packages. Our preference has been to use applications because of the features you get like requirement rules, dependencies and the App Catalog, even though it incurs this limitation.

Seán
Oct 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I think using 2 deployments (1 logged in 1 not) isn't that terrible to do with applications that we know are a nuisance.. like Java and similar..