some questions

Topics: Archive - General
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Hi,

I just discover your solution to resolv a problem we have with SCCM, deploying applications during user login and problem with applications already in use

I have done a test to deploy Google Chrome with deployment toolkit but I have some problems :
  • when we deploy as application, we have to select "only when a user is logged on" for selecting "Allow users to view or interact with the program installation", so we can't deploy application when no user is logged on, it is a pity because it is always better to take advantage that nobody is logged into the PC to deploy.
  • is it possible to deploy silently (or just ballon screen) if the application is not in use, but show welcome screen asking to close the program or delay installation only if the process is in use ? I see no interest in disturbing the user asking him things when he does not use the application, if it is not in use, we update.
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Hi,
  1. Unfortunately in order to show the UI during deployment you must select the option that a user is logged on. That is an SCCM limitation and we can't work around it with the Toolkit.
  2. Yes, absolutely you can do that, e.g. Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "chrome"
    If you want to allow defer option only if the application is open, use the "AllowDeferCloseApps" parameter.
You'll find an explanation and examples of the parameters in the help console and the documentation. Any questions, just post them here.
Sean
Oct 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Thanks for the quick answer :)
  1. I don't know well SCCM, we are just beginning to use it
    Maybe it's possible to create two different deployment type for the same application, one "only when user is logged on" with the deployment toolkit, one "only when no user is logged on" without it ? So we can deploy application silently if no user is logged on and with toolkit if user is logged on ?
  2. Ok great I will test this.
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Yes, it is possible to have two deployment types with a requirement rule to determine if a user is logged on, e.g. check if explorer.exe process is running.