InstallationUI_Timeout not timing out

Topics: Archive - General
Mar 5, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2015 at 6:02 PM
Good afternoon,

I am using version 3.6.

In AppDeployToolkitConfig.xml, I have set the following:

<InstallationUI_Timeout>300</InstallationUI_Timeout>

The InstallationWelcome does appear, but it does not ever time out and proceed with the install. I've waited at least 30 minutes on multiple machines to be certain. Is there something else I need to configure? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding this function. My belief is that when set to 300, the InstallationWelcome should close after 5 minutes (and maybe proceed with the install, not sure on this). I searched the log file and found no noted reason for it to hang indefinitely.

Thank you for your time.
Mar 13, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Anyone else having this issue of the InstallationWelcome window not timing out? What ends up happening here is the window remains front and center with a new window stacking on top of it at each additional scheduled deployment time rather than just timing out and sending the 1618 code.

The function comment to which I'm referring is in the main script and reads as:

The dialog box will timeout after the timeout specified in the XML configuration file (default 1 hour and 55 minutes) to prevent SCCM installations from timing out and returning a failure code to SCCM. When the dialog times out, the script will exit and return a 1618 code (SCCM fast retry code).

Thanks for any assistance on this, it is greatly appreciated.
Mar 13, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Hi jteuhs,

Can share with us what is the switch you had used in your Show-InstallationWelcome command?

Thanks and regards
WaiYin
Mar 13, 2015 at 9:06 PM
Hi WaiYin,

This is the command in my script:

Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "excel,groove,onenote,infopath,onenote,outlook,mspub,powerpnt,winword,winproj,visio" -ForceCloseAppsCountdown 300 -PersistPrompt -AllowDefer -DeferTimes 1 -CheckDiskSpace

I didn't see a switch to enable the window time out though. I was thinking it would just exit everything after 300 seconds based on what I set in the XML and return the retry code back to SCCM. I'm still pretty new to PowerShell though, and SCCM.
Mar 14, 2015 at 1:46 AM
Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "excel,groove,onenote,infopath,outlook,mspub,powerpnt,winword,winproj,visio" -ForceCloseAppsCountdown 300 -PersistPrompt -AllowDeferCloseApps -DeferTimes 1 -CheckDiskSpace

1) Try using -AllowDeferCloseApps and see if it work?
2) I see your -ForceCloseAppsCountdown and InstallationUI_Timeout are both set as the same value. Do you want the welcome screen to timeout and quit the script or force the close the apps if no response after 5 mins?

For testing maybe you can reduce the -ForceCloseAppsCountdown and the <InstallationUI_Timeout>300</InstallationUI_Timeout> to know if the script is working as expected.
Mar 14, 2015 at 2:23 AM
Hi superz202,

1) I have -AllowDeferCloseApps in there and that part does work. As long as there are Office apps open it prompts and displays the countdown, but if no apps are open it just sits there waiting for a response.

2) What I would like it to do is timeout the install welcome after 5 or 10 minutes (maybe more) and begin the install automatically. Currently, if the user is away from their computer and I have a recurring schedule of deployment, they will return to 20 PowerShell processes running the same window, all stacked on top of each other, because it doesn't time out. If there are 0 deferments remaining then it does install automatically, but we want to give them at least 1 deferment and have it still timeout and auto install if they don't click Defer or Continue.
Mar 14, 2015 at 2:26 AM
Regarding the testing you mentioned, I will try adjusting the timeout to 10 minutes and see how it goes. I believe it was failing another time when I had it at the default 6900, but I will verify. Thank you.
Mar 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM
Hi,

You mention you have -AllowDeferCloseApps in there but i don't see that in that been shared in your earlier post.

Can you try this?

Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "excel,groove,onenote,infopath,onenote,outlook,mspub,powerpnt,winword,winproj,visio,winword" -ForceCloseAppsCountdown 300 -PersistPrompt -AllowDeferCloseApps -AllowDefer -DeferTimes 1 -CheckDiskSpace

This is proceed with installation if non of the apps required to close are open. If any of the apps is running, it will prompt user to close and proceed. Hope this can fulfill your requirement.

WaiYin
Mar 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM
Same result. I adjusted the -ForceCloseAppsCountdown to 120 seconds and the InstallationUI_Timeout to 150 seconds for testing, but it never times out.
Mar 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM
After doing more test today, it seem like a bug in 3.6.0. The testing i had done earlier was on 3.5.0 which work fine. But today when i test it on 3.6.0 and I get the same result. That why I wrote a post in the Issue tag and seem like you had voted it too.

Hope someone can look into this as this will cause the Welcome screen to stuck there and sccm will record this as time out.
Mar 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM
Yep, I saw that one this morning and voted on it. Thank you very much for your help with this.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Thanks for reporting this, the fix has been committed to the latest source code.

We should have a point release out by the end of next week including this fix.

Sean