Possibilities with Defer option

Topics: Archive - Deployment Scripts
Feb 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM
I install a package with the Defer count set to 3.
Every day I propose the package to the user.
But the final day, when the Defer count is 0, the welcome-message will not be shown at all anymore and the installation is started immediately.
Is there a way to get around that ? So that at the final day, when the defer count is 0 , still a welcome message is shown with a countdown option or so ?
Like "Your defer count is 0 and the installation will now take place, you can't defer anymore. Close all programs and continue the install or the install will continue in 10 minutes"
Is that posible ?
Mar 9, 2015 at 7:22 PM
This is an option I would like to request as well. I have considered adding to the script a command to launch an Office app as minimized so that may at least trigger the closeapps window so the users have some type of warning, but would prefer to avoid this type of action. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Mar 17, 2015 at 12:18 AM
Edited Mar 17, 2015 at 12:25 AM
With 0 deferments and no countdown if no CloseApps are open, I was able to trigger a countdown using the method below. This is not the cleanest method, but a functional workaround.

In this case, I'm deploying O365 so winword is already in the -CloseApps list

In Deploy-Application.ps1, on the line just above the ShowInstallationWelcome command, I added the following command:

Start-Process winword -WindowStyle Minimized

This opened a minimized Word doc so, even though the user does not have one open initially, the countdown to install is now triggered. This gives them some time to save any other work when no deferments remain. Ultimately though I think it would be cleaner if there were a switch to allow enablement of the countdown when no deferments remain.