Show-InstallationProgress Delayed on PowerShell 3.0 and 4.0

Topics: Archive - Deployment Scripts
Feb 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM
I am running into a problem solely with the Show-InstallationPrompt dialogs displaying on under PowerShell 3.0 or 4.0. After upgrading PowerShell to v3.0 or v4.0 on Win7x64, the dialog fails to display, but does not generate an error. The problem occurs regardless of how the installation is initiated: calling the script directly, via the deployapp exe, command line or SCCM. When the script is called directly via an open PowerShell session, and that session is left running after the installation completes, the dialog (multiple, if the function has been called more than once) will display up to 10 minutes later.

If I revert PowerShell back to 2.0, the problem goes away.

I have seen only seen one reference on stackoverfolow regarding Process.BeginInvoke() called being delayed, though the explanation was referring using the method in C, and I could not make a correlation. Has anyone experienced this issue, or have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Feb 24, 2015 at 2:04 AM
I've got the same issue. I get overlapping Show-InstallationProgress windows. Power shell 2 is fine.
Mar 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM
I found the problem to only occur on machine that had the "PowerTab" powershell module installed. Once the the module was completely removed, the issue was resolved. I have not taken the time to try an determine what in this module cause the mutli-threading issue, but post any finding I do discover. For now, I am remoing the module from our environment.