Best way to use this toolkit without SCCM? Even possible?

Topics: Archive - General
Sep 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I'll be pushing for SCCM in next year's budget, but currently I'm deploying strictly via gpo (we're a rather small shop). I'd love to use this toolkit, but I'm wondering if I can even really do so without SCCM.

If anyone is using this toolkit without SCCM I'd love to hear how you are doing so. Thanks!
Sep 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
I use it with Altiris Deployment Solution 6.9 and 7.1. I also use it with PDQ Deploy, which is free You can create a package in PDQ kinda like SCCM, but I usually just use it to deploy a .bat file that looks like this:
REM Copy Files
IF NOT EXIST C:\techsupt MD c:\techsupt
xcopy "\\software\getsome\Java\Java 6.14\PSADT" c:\techsupt\psadt\ /e /y

REM Get the Proc Arch
IF %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == AMD64 SET myArch=x64
IF %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == x86 SET myArch=x86
REM Get the OS
ver | findstr /i "6\.1\." > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 SET myOS=Win7
ver | findstr /i "5\.1\." > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 SET myOS=WinXP

if %myOS%==Win7 if %myArch%==x64 GOTO Win7x64
if %myOS%==Win7 if %myArch%==x86 GOTO Win7x86
if %myOS%==WinXP if %myArch%==x86 GOTO WinXPx86

:Win7x64
"c:\techsupt\psadt\files\ServiceUI.exe" "c:\techsupt\psadt\Deploy-Application.exe"
exit
:Win7X86
"c:\techsupt\psadt\files\ServiceUI.exe" "c:\techsupt\psadt\Deploy-Application.exe"
exit
:WinXPx86
"c:\techsupt\psadt\Deploy-Application.exe"
Basically I just copy my PSADT package to the local machine, find out if it's Win7 or XP (so I can launch it w/ ServiceUI or not) and execute. The exit codes are still passed back to PDQ Deploy so you can see if it fails or whatever.

Shoot, I've even used PSADT with PSEXEC and a txt file list of computers.
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Awesome - I've been messing with WPKG/WPKG-GP the last couple of days but I'm going to try this with PDQ. Thanks for the pointer - I'll report back my findings.

And I'd still love to hear how others are using it without SCCM.