This project is read-only.

Remove from collection after deployment

Topics: Archive - Deployment Scripts, Archive - General
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Has anyone devised a way to remove a machine from a particular collection after deployment? if so could you share your ideas?

Thanks
Aug 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM
If you are using SCCM, the simple way is to build the collection of computers that do not have the software installed. Then once the software has been deployed, SCCM will automatically update the collection, although it may take some time depending on your configuration.

Normally, I would create a query to list the machines WITH the software, then create the collection where the machine is not a member of that sub-query.

In SCCM 2012, I believe it would be easier as you can have two collections, call them "all computers" and "With Software". Create a new collection limited by "All Computers" and set an membership rule with an "excluding group" of "With Software". I haven't tried this method, but it should work.
Aug 11, 2014 at 10:56 PM
In the wrapper script, we used to check if the software was already installed before we installed.
If we found our "Tag" file, we assumed it was installed OK and skipped the install.

About 2 years ago we stopped that because we couldn't remember why we did that. SCCM/SMS collections should be good enough.
Now we are getting weird things where the same package gets installed over and over on the same computers for no apparent reason.
I suspecting the collections are not always accurate.
Our network spans the globe. Inventory takes about 2-3 days to come back fully.
If we get more aggressive with inventory, the SCCM Master server crashes from the load.
Maybe we should check to see if the software is already installed before we install.
Hey I got an idea! (and history repeats...)