Application blocking won't go away.

Topics: Archive - General
Jul 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Howdy,
    I've been deploying IE8 to a few thousand workstations and have found 2 machines so far that keep displaying the block message "Launching this application has been temporarily blocked sot hat an installation operation can complete" whenever a user launches IE8 even after a successful install and reboot.  Can you tell me if there's a simple change I can make on these few machines this happens on?
Jul 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM
I'm up to 5 computers (out of 1500 so far) that have this issue and I haven't found a way to resolve it yet. Anybody have any insight in to where this application block setting can be altered manually on a PC?
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:20 PM
amigo,

not sure if this will lead you in the right track or not but i was looking around appdeploytoolkit.ps1 and came across the following. Can you check the scheduled task of the PC's and see if the settings are stored there? Hope it helps...

Function UnBlock-AppExecution
# Remove the scheduled task if it exists
    $schTaskBlockedAppsName = "$installName" + "_BlockedApps"
    If (Get-ScheduledTask -ContinueOnError $true | Select TaskName | Where { $_.TaskName -eq "\$schTaskBlockedAppsName" } ) {
        Write-Log "Deleting Scheduled Task [$schTaskBlockedAppsName] ..."
        Execute-Process -FilePath $exeSchTasks -Arguments "/Delete /TN $schTaskBlockedAppsName /F"
    }
}
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Locate the blocked executables in this registry key (hint: search for powershell.exe):

"HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options"

Delete the Debugger value that launches the PSAppDeployToolkit.

Sean
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM
You can do this with PowerShell by running the following from an Administrative PowerShell prompt
Get-ChildItem "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" -Recurse |
ForEach-Object { Get-ItemProperty $_.pspath } |
Where-Object {$_.Debugger -like "*ShowBlockedAppDialog*"} |
Remove-ItemProperty -Name Debugger
Dan
Jul 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Thanks gents, that totally worked and I've built it in as a check at the end of my job!