What was used to generate the "Deploy-Application.EXE"

Topics: Archive - General
Jun 19, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Hello,

Prior to my recent discovery of PSAppDeployToolkit (a gem I might add) I've been using AutoIT to perform many of the tasks that the PSAppDeployToolkit is inherently capable of performing. The organization I work for is wanting to transition to Powershell for application deployment. Thankfully I don't have to reinvent the wheel. My question today is with respects to the "Deploy-Application.EXE", more specifically, what was used to compile this executable? I ask because the Deploy-Application.EXE will no longer execute the Deploy-Application.ps1 one it has been renamed to something less generic. To this end I've compiled the renamed .ps1 file into an executable using another tool, it executes successfully; however, exhibits odd behavior that I cannot duplicated when the renamed .ps1 script is executed directly from the Powershell prompt.

Best Regards,

Yves
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2014 at 8:02 PM
Hi Yves,

WiseScript was used to compile the Deploy-Application.exe file, ironic because it's the very language the toolkit was designed to replace!

You can specify the name of the .ps1 file on the command-line with our without the -File parameter.

Sean
Jun 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Sean,

Thanks for the informative feed-back. I used a tool called ExeScript Editor to compile the "Deploy-Application.ps1" into an exe. The compiled exe performed well with a minor caveat. The compiled exe exhibited weird behavior during both install and uninstalls, the close applications dialog box would appear even when the application was not running. I hope that this bug is isolated to the version of the software tool that was used to compile the "Deploy-Application.ps1" and is resolved with an upgrade to the latest release.

Best Regards,

Yves