User being prompted to close app if deployment type is available but not if deployment type is required

Topics: Archive - General
May 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM
Hi,

I'm using the PSADT to upgrade Adobe Reader to version 11.0.07 on my clients. If the applications deployment type is available to user is prompted to close the app is it is running at the time of install.

If the deployment type is required, the user isn't prompted. If Acrobat Reader is running it's closed for the user, the existing version is removed and the new version installed.

The option to allow the user to interact with the application is checked in configmgr. In the logs is clearly shows that it detects the old version and is closing the app without prompting the user.

[28-05-2014 15:46:30] [Pre-Installation] Force closing application(s) [Adobe Reader ] without prompting user...

My Pre-installation line looks like this;
Show-InstallationWelcome -CloseApps "AcroRd32,cidaemon" -AllowDefer -DeferTimes 3 -CheckDiskSpace -PersistPrompt

Any help would be very much appreciated.
S
Coordinator
May 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Hi Sean,

Is there a user logged on at the time? What happens if you choose "only when a user is logged on" and set installation program visibility to "normal".

Refer to the screenshots in the documentation under this section:

"Deploy the Adobe Reader installation using SCCM 2012 Application Model"

If it's still not working, can you share a copy of the log file here?

Thanks,
Sean
May 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Hi Sean,

The issue appears to have been related to the change from originally having "User is able to interact with application" unchecked to checked took longer to propagate than expected.

Far more user friendly than the default way of deploying certain apps. Gave demo today to some of our Helpdesk team and their manager, well impressed with what we can offer them now.

Thanks,
S
Coordinator
May 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Hi Sean,

Glad you got it sorted and great that the support team like it!

Cheers
Sean