Flash Player 12 ActiveX Uninstall String Issue

Topics: Archive - General
Apr 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM
I was hoping someone could provide a hint on uninstalling Adobe Flash 12 ActiveX. I have been testing my script for deploying Adobe Flash 13 and noticed issues on our computers with the script when trying to uninstall Flash Player 12 ActiveX. In the PSAPPDEployToolkit log file i see the below. I see this with version 38, 70 and 77. The uninstall of Flash 11 Active X works fine.

[Pre-Installation] Adobe Flash Player 12 ActiveX uninstall string [C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_12_0_0_70_ActiveX.exe -maintain activex] does not match "msiexec", so removal will not proceed.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM
When installed, were they installed using the enterprise MSI or the standard executable? I think the uninstall for the standard executable isn't an MSI and thus can't be removed using MSIExec.

I would consider using the Flash Uninstaller tool to remove any previous versions prior to installing the new version: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

It probably supports -silent as a parameter. Although I'm not sure, haven't tested.

Dan
Apr 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Hello,

Tu use the uninstaller, use uninstall_flash_player.exe -uninstall -force

@+

Eric
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Edited Apr 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM
I use the uninstaller too and it runs silent by default. It is the best way to remove all old versions of flash. However, keep in mind the executable changes with every new release of flash and it removes both the ActiveX and Plugin version. If you have machines that have the flash plugin and some that do not, then you will need to obtain that information beforehand. In my case I have ActiveX installed on everything but only some computers have the plugin.

Therefore I run this code in PRE-INSTALLATION:
    $AppInfo = Get-InstalledApplication -Name "Adobe Flash Player"
    Foreach ($InstalledApp in $AppInfo) { If ($InstalledApp.DisplayName -match "Plugin") { $PluginInstalled = $True } }
    Execute-Process -FilePath "uninstall_flash_player.exe" -arguments "-uninstall" -WindowStyle Hidden 
And this in INSTALLATION:
    Execute-MSI -Action Install -Path "install_flash_player_12_active_x.msi"
    If ($PluginInstalled -eq $True) { Execute-MSI -Action Install -Path "install_flash_player_12_plugin.msi" }