Running in SCCM Task Sequence

Topics: Archive - General
Apr 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Hi,

I have noticed that the detection method for checking if the deployment toolkit is running in a Task Sequence is simply to check if TSManager is running. As we run Task Sequences for app installs in the OS (Outside of OSD), there is generally a stale TSManager process running on each Windows machine (this is a known issue that a TS doesn't kill this process when it's finished)

Is it worth changing line 4278 to check for OSDSETUPHOOK instead? As the app toolkit will never be run in a TS outside of OSD I can't see this being a problem.....

Cheers

Jack
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Hey Jack,

Do you know if OSDSetupHook runs as part of any Task Sequence regardless of whether you're performing an OSD? Reason I ask is that I know of a number of companies that use Task Sequences to deploy chains of installs - it's fairly common although (a) it's not using Task Sequences for what they were designed to do and (b) shouldn't be necessary since the toolkit can help you chain together complex application installs.

I'm loath to change it though if TSManager is the only process we can guarantee is running during any Task Sequence.

Cheers, Dan
Apr 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Hi Dan,

OSDSETUPHOOK.exe is part of the WinPE Boot Image so it can never run outside of OSD. TSManager is used in OSD and in full OS

Cheers

Jack
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Hi Jack,

The reason we check for a running task sequence is to ensure the installation runs in non-interactive mode if it is running in a task sequence (so as not to break the task sequence). OSDSetupHook.exe won't work as a check, because as you pointed out it only runs in WinPE. Software installations in the task sequence only happen outside WinPE in the full OS.

Cheers,
Seán