Question on BalloonTip and Deferrals

Topics: Archive - General
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM
I have been testing with this tool for the last couple of weeks and am curious if someone could help. I was wondering if there was a way to keep the balloontip icon in the taskbar notification area if the user defers the install? I notice that after a deferral the icon disappears and the user has to go back to the Software Center (SCCM) in order to relaunch the application.

Also i just wanted to saw i love the tool and it will help out with a number of deployments we will need to make in the future with java and flash.

Thank you
Coordinator
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Hi,

It's not really feasible to keep the toolkit running, as this would interfere with SCCM - for example, all other deployments would stop until this one was complete. There's a bunch of other reasons I can't think of off the top of my head but basically, it's not really possible.

If you are using SCCM 2007, you can use a recurring advertisement to make sure it reruns every few hours to nag the user. In SCCM 2012 things are slightly different because the application model doesn't allow for recurring runs - it's governed by the Agent Settings that say how often application evaluation is done. By default this is once per day but you could change this to every few hours - the caveat here though is that this puts additional load on your server. Alternatively, you can still use a Package and Advertisement in SCCM 2012 and set up a recurring advertisement like with SCCM 2007.

Hope this helps, Dan.
Marked as answer by dachip on 2/7/2014 at 8:32 AM